I backup the images and videos from my iPhone in to Lightroom, but I ran in to a situation where I was unable to import video files (MOV). Lightroom would import image files, but at the end of an import that included video files, Lightroom would display the message “There is a problem with the video file” with a list of all my video files that it was unable to import.
I’m using a Mac running Mountain Lion, but searches on the error message seem to pop up on Windows 7 systems running LR, as well.
Restarting the application did not solve my problem. However, here are the steps that worked for me.
- Make sure you are running the latest version of Lightroom by clicking Help > Check for Updates. In talking with a few other users that were experiencing the same issue, simply updating to the latest version resolved the issue.
- Open Lightroom Preferences and click on the File Handling tab.
- At the bottom of the File Handling options, find the Video Cache Settings.
- Click the Purge Cache button.
- Close the Preferences dialog.
- Close Lightroom.
- Launch Lightroom.
- Cross fingers.
- Import videos!